To help you along in your journey, we have put together a list of life hacks that can make your university experience a lot more manageable. Try them out!
- Memorise with a new WhatsApp wallpaper
A Quora user shared this nifty trick to memorising an important concept or topic. If you change your WhatsApp wallpaper to a study note, you cannot help but look at it each time you are chatting with your friends!
- Set class schedule on your lock screen
In a similar vein, you can set your class schedule as your lock screen. This way, you would not have to keep referring to a piece of paper or email – simply press your home button to see your week’s classes.
- Browse Google Scholar and Google Books
Credible sources can enhance and substantiate your academic papers. Besides browsing your school’s online library, try finding relevant sources from Google Scholar and Google Books.
- Use an online highlighter
Online research plays a big part in your assignments. Add the Super Simple Highlighter extension to your Google Chrome browser and highlight key findings on the internet. The highlighter is even equipped with various colours to help you differentiate information.
- Annotate as you research
It is good practice to key in notes while you are gathering research. When reading papers in PDF format, you can make use of annotation tools to add sticky notes and summaries. This will eliminate the hassle of re-reading the entire paper later on.
- Download planner apps
Planning is crucial to keeping you on track with your goals. There are many planner apps out there to help you in organising your day. Our favourites include Evernote, iStudiez Pro, Google Calendar, and Wunderlist.
- Block distracting sites
There are many online tools that can aid your productivity by blocking distracting websites – such as Facebook and YouTube – during your revisions. Smartphone addicts should also consider downloading anti-distraction apps.
- Study with music. Research indicates that certain genres of music have positive effects on people and can help to boost their performance in high-pressure situations.
- Teach what you have learned. Teaching someone else can help you to grasp and master a concept much better.
- Organise with an Accordion File. Dedicate a section in the folder to each of your modules, and label the sections accordingly. You can store all your slides, notes, and assignment briefs in this folder.
Preparing for university? Check out Scholarship Application 101 and University Life: Hall vs Home!