PhD and Post-Doc
At A*STAR, you will be part of a vibrant and innovative team, dedicated to drive A*STAR’s mission to advance science and develop innovative technology to further economic growth and improve lives. We firmly believe that people are our greatest asset.
In recognition of the diverse talents, strengths and interests of our PhD scholars, we have created multiple pathways for our scholars, providing them with opportunities to develop and chart their careers in industry, corporate R&D labs, public administration, technology enterprises, spin-off companies and academia after their first two years with us.
Our post-doctoral fellowships provide opportunities for advanced training at renowned institutions and laboratories to help you develop new scientific capabilities and conduct cutting-edge research in your field of specialisation. You’ll not only learn from the best minds but also build invaluable networks with the global research community through this international experience.
The A*STAR Graduate Academy provides scholarships and fellowships to enable young aspiring scientific talent to pursue their passion in science at top global universities and prepare them for a rewarding career in R&D.
For Singaporeans/other nationals intending to take up Singapore citizenship:
A*STAR Graduate Scholarship
The AGS (Singapore) funds up to 4 years of PhD studies in NTU, NUS, SMU (Information Systems) and SUTD. Students will have the opportunity to undertake research at their chosen A*STAR Research Institute and register candidature at NTU, NUS, SMU (Information Systems) or SUTD.
AGS (Singapore) scholars will have opportunities for an overseas attachment of up to 12 months during their PhD studies, and are eligible to apply for the AGS (Post-doctoral Fellowship) which provides support for up to 2 years of overseas post-doctoral training.
The above eligibility criteria are not exhaustive.
- Applicants must satisfy criteria for and seek admission into NTU, NUS, SMU (Information Systems) and SUTD PhD programme
- Applicants must have obtained at least a 2nd Upper Class Honours Degree or equivalent in relevant disciplines
- Applicants must be Singaporean; those of other nationalities must intend to take up Singapore citizenship
- Applicants should have strong interest in a research career
- Applicants may submit GRE scores (if available) to be included in the overall assessment of their scholarship application
A*STAR may include additional selection criteria based on prevailing scholarship policies. These policies may be amended from time to time without notice.
Value & Benefits
Successful applicants will be given support for up to 4 years of academic pursuit. They will receive*:
*All rates/allowances are subject to adjustments by A*STAR from time to time.
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly sustenance allowance, inclusive of CPF contribution (where applicable)
- Other allowances including
- Book allowance
- Computer allowance
- Conference allowance
- Thesis allowance
- Support for up to 12 months of overseas attachment
AGS scholars are eligible for up to 2 years of post-doctoral fellowship under AGS (PDF).
Singaporeans (at point of award): No service commitment
Non-Singaporeans (at point of award): 2 years in a Singapore-based organisation preferably in Biomedical Sciences, Physical Sciences and Engineering
AGS awardees who are subsequently awarded the AGS (PDF) for overseas post-doctoral training: 3 years
- Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
- National University of Singapore (NUS)
- Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD)
- Singapore Management University (SMU) (School of Information Systems)
- Biomedical Sciences
- Physical Sciences & Engineering
Deadline: 1 Feb 2020 for Aug 2020 intake or 1 Aug 2020 for Jan 2021 intake