The Healthcare Merit Award (formerly known as the Health Science and Nursing Scholarship) is a prestigious scholarship offered by the Ministry of Health to promising students with strong academic track records and a passion to pursue great careers within the public healthcare sector. HMA recipients can opt to study for nursing, pharmacy or allied health disciplines in local and overseas universities. They may also choose to pursue a 3-year allied health diploma in Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Diagnostic Radiography and Radiation Therapy at our local polytechnics, before going for a degree conversion course at local or overseas universities.
HMA recipients can look forward to exciting and challenging careers in Singapore’s public healthcare sector, involved in direct patient care and management that transform and improve the lives of fellow Singaporeans. They will also be given opportunities to be groomed for senior appointments within the public healthcare sector.
COURSES OF STUDY
- Be a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident who will take up citizenship before embarking on studies
- Possess good GCE 'A' level results (offered at least 10 academic units), polytechnic diploma with merit or equivalent qualifications, e.g. International Baccalaureate (IB) or high school diploma
- Have good Co-Curricular Activities record
- Have a passion for public healthcare sector and strong communication skills
- Diagnostic Radiography
- Medical Social Work
- Occupational Therapy
- Radiation Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Prosthetics & Orthotics
- Speech Therapy
Successful awardees pursuing Pharmacy, Medical Social Work and Nursing would be required to pursue their required course in the Singapore universities as approved by MOHH only.
The bond is 4 years for local studies and 6 years for overseas studies.
Scholars will be sponsored for the following during their undergraduate studies or degree conversion course, where applicable:
- Tuition fees and compulsory charges
- Monthly maintenance allowance
- Pre-Studies Allowance (e.g. Settling In, Warm Clothing, Computer)
- Return economy airfare (for overseas studies only)
- Clinical Placement Allowance (for overseas studies only)
- Sponsorship for approved developmental activities, such as Student Exchange Programmes, Professional seminars and conferences during course of study
For enquiries, please email to [email protected]
The main selection & interview cycle periods are held from Jan - June each year. Please do note that only shortlisted applicants will be notified.