The National Science Scholarships (BS) funds undergraduate studies and PhD training in Computer & Information Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Physical Sciences, Biomedical Sciences.
- Be Singaporean. Applicants of other nationalities must intend to take up Singapore citizenship
- Have achieved excellent academic standing in the GCE 'A' Levels (preferably with 11 AUs), polytechnic diploma (preferably with Merit) or equivalent qualifications (e.g. International Baccalaureate or NUS High School diploma)
- Applicants should have a keen interest in Science and research. Preference will be given to candidates with experience and notable achievements in science- or math-related projects and activities
- Male scholars are required to serve National Service prior to commencement of undergraduate studies
- Applicants are encouraged to sit for the SAT tests to broaden their choices of institutions for their undergraduate education. Although A*STAR does not mandate a minimum SAT score as a qualifying condition for the undergraduate scholarships awarded for studies, applicants are encouraged to submit their SAT scores, if available, to be included in the overall assessment of their applications
For applicants in undergraduate Year 2 & above (Mid-Term NSS(BS))
The above eligibility criteria are not exhaustive.
- Be Singaporean
- Enrolled in a top global university, with a minimum GPA of 3.8 (US university), or a First Class Honours or equivalent
- Have completed at least 2 semesters or 1 academic year of graded results at the point of scholarship application
A*STAR may include additional selection criteria based on prevailing scholarship policies. These policies may be amended from time to time without notice.
Value & Benefits
The National Science Scholarship (BS) supports up to 8 years of undergraduate and PhD studies.
Successful NSS (BS) applicants will be given support for their undergraduate studies, comprising*:
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly allowance
- Annual return airfare
- Pre-studies allowance
- Research attachment opportunities at A*STAR Research Institutes
Further support for PhD studies will be awarded upon satisfactory completion of undergraduate studies and meeting NSS (PhD) requirements (e.g. 1-year research attachment at an A*STAR Research Institute).
Mid-term NSS (BS) awardees will be offered the same terms of support as the direct NSS (BS) scholars from the point of the award, without retrospective payment.
*Rates/allowances vary according to country and university, and are subject to adjustments by A*STAR from time to time
NSS scholars are required to fulfill a 6-year service commitment, inclusive of a compulsory 1-year research attachment prior to PhD studies.
- Computer & Information Sciences
- Engineering & Technology
- Physical Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences.