PhD and Post-Doc
At A*STAR, you will be part of a vibrant and innovative team, dedicated to drive A*STAR’s mission to advance science and develop innovative technology to further economic growth and improve lives. We firmly believe that people are our greatest asset.
In recognition of the diverse talents, strengths and interests of our PhD scholars, we have created multiple pathways for our scholars, providing them with opportunities to develop and chart their careers in industry, corporate R&D labs, public administration, technology enterprises, spin-off companies and academia after their first two years with us.
Our post-doctoral fellowships provide opportunities for advanced training at renowned institutions and laboratories to help you develop new scientific capabilities and conduct cutting-edge research in your field of specialisation. You’ll not only learn from the best minds but also build invaluable networks with the global research community through this international experience.
The A*STAR Graduate Academy provides scholarships and fellowships to enable young aspiring scientific talent to pursue their passion in science at top global universities and prepare them for a rewarding career in R&D.
For Singaporeans/other nationals intending to take up Singapore citizenship:
National Science Scholarship (PhD)
The National Science Scholarship (PhD) funds PhD studies at top global universities universities in Biomedical Sciences, Physical Sciences and Engineering disciplines.
The above eligibility criteria are not exhaustive.
- Applicants must have outstanding undergraduate results (preferably 1st Class Honours Degree or equivalent) in relevant disciplines.
- Applicants must be Singaporean; those of other nationalities must intend to take up Singapore citizenship
- Applicants should have strong interest in a research career
- Applicants should have gain admission into a PhD programme in biomedical sciences, physical sciences or engineering at a top global university
- Applicants must sit for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) prior to, or during the course of their application, and obtain minimum scores as follows:
- Combined Verbal & Quantitative – 322
- Analytical Writing – 4.5
- Successful Applicants are required to undergo a one-year research attachment at an A*STAR research institute prior to their PhD studies
A*STAR may include additional selection criteria based on prevailing scholarship policies. These policies may be amended from time to time without notice.
Value & Benefits
Successful applicants will be given support for up to five years of PhD studies comprising*:
*All rates/allowances vary according to country and university, and are subject to adjustments made by A*STAR.
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly sustenance allowance, inclusive of CPF contribution (where applicable)
- Monthly overseas living allowance
- Annual return airfare
- Other allowances including
- Conference allowance
- Thesis allowance
- Book allowance
- Computer allowance
- Warm clothing and settling-in allowance
- Upon completion of the PhD programme, scholars will return to Singapore and contribute to A*STAR’s research institutes for four(4) years
- Biomedical Sciences
- Physical Sciences & Engineering
Deadline: 1 Mar 2020 or 1 October 2020